CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 12, 2009

MRI

Maddie has a small patch of redness and swelling on her lower back, and though the doctors at Shriner's believe it's nothing to worry about, they did want to have it checked out before her foot ablation which is scheduled for next week, October 22. So today, Maddie and I are at Gillette Children's Hospital in St. Paul while she undergoes a full spine MRI.

I was a nervous wreck all night for two reasons. First of all, snow was predicted, and I was worried about driving in rush hour during a snow storm. We had to be at the hospital at 7:45 a.m., and though driving to St. Paul would normally take about a half an hour from our house, all bets are off when there is anything falling from the sky. Sure enough, when I looked out the window at 2:00 a.m., the snow had already started and was accumulating. Secondly, I was freaked about Maddie having an IV line put in. Small children have to be sedated for MRIs because they have to hold still for an hour and a half. Maddie is a real trooper when it comes to anything medically related, but because we had a bad experience this summer drawing blood, she gets very upset whenever anyone comes at her with a needle. Once again, all my fretting was for naught. My dear, dear husband volunteered to drive us to the hospital AND they didn't put the IV line in until after Maddie was already knocked out from a little gas anesthesia.

The folks at Gillette are wonderful. They talked to Maddie and played with her and did everything in their power to make her feel comfortable. After some initial shyness, Maddie perked up and started to enjoy herself, even singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" for some of the staff. At one point, they gave Maddie a face mask to play with so she would become familiar with it, and we practiced putting it on her Ducky. Then Maddie showed us how to put it on her own face. She was asked pick out a flavored Lip Smackers (she chose raspberry and then asked if she could have one for Ibby...how sweet...Ibby gets cotton candy), and then she got to "color" the inside of her face mask with it, so she would smell that more than the odor of the gas. When it came time for the real thing, Maddie was not afraid to place the mask on her face. Watching her go under was strange. I didn't realize it would make me so emotional. I guess it's just not an easy thing to watch your child go unconscious.

So I'm drinking a Starbucks and watching it snow while I wait for Maddie. They say after the MRI is complete, it will take her fifteen minutes to a half an hour to wake up at which point I will be able to go into her room. She'll be able to have some juice and a little something to eat, and they will send us on our way. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers today.

4 comments:

LynnieB said...

Hope all went well. I am sure it did! Maddie is such a brave little girl. I know having them put under is not easy. I have had to do it four times now and it rips my heart open each time. Love you all -

Melissa said...

I hope everything went well. Darby has been sedated a few times and it doesn't get any easier, but she always comes through just fine. Unfortunately she will not step foot into the children's hospital anymore because she knows she will face needles. I have to carry her in screaming. Maddie and all of you are in my prayers today and also next week. It sounds like they are wonderful with kids and try to make her as happy and comfortable as possible.

Mary said...

Oh, Pam, what a rough day for you, probably more than for Maddie. Being a mommy is not an easy job! My prayers are with you and your family. Hope all the tests come back fine, as well as the upcoming surgery. Hang in there...

Lesa said...

I'm just now checking in. Pam, I'm so glad that Richard was able to be with you today. Sounds like your hospital is amazing!
I'll be checking in to see how she did.