CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of School


Here are my girls, on their very first first day of school. Maddie has her arms in the air because when we talk about going to school, we always cheer, "Hooray!"

This school year, Madeleine and Isabel are enrolled at St. David's Center for Child and Family Development. St. David’s began as a small community nursery school in the basement of St. David’s Episcopal Church 45 years ago. No longer affiliated with the church, St. David's has grown into one of the leading providers of preschool education in our area. Just five minutes from our house, St. David's has an excellent reputation, and we couldn't have been more pleased when the girls were accepted for admission. Besides the academic preparation the girls will receive for entry into kindergarten in a couple of years, St. David's also has an excellent physical therapy department for children with physical disabilities. This is certainly a plus for our Miss Maddie who will be facing some physical challenges over the next several months. The girls will be going to school on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:45 to 11:45.

We attended an Open House last Friday, so the girls had already met their teachers and seen their classroom. As a result, when we arrived at room 102 this morning (yes, both girls will be in the same class all year long), they were comfortable in their surroundings, happy to see their teachers, and excited to get busy with all the cool toys. Ibby whined for about ten seconds when I said I was leaving, but when one of the teachers distracted her with the sensory table, it was like, "Mom who?"

So you're probably wondering what I did with my three kid-free hours. Well, I wondered what my girls were doing. I kept thinking how weird it was to drive around in my car without any passengers. I spent an hour and forty-five minutes at the Social Security Administration office applying for Maddie's social security card. I read a magazine while I waited. Actually, two. And they were about a year out of date, but I didn't care. And then I ran two other quick errands which would not have been so quick with two kids in tow.

When I got to the school to pick them up, they were having circle time and singing a goodbye song. A few parents snuck in the back of the room to get a look at the kids and snap a few pictures. As soon as Maddie saw me, she yelled out, "Mama!" That made me feel good, I can tell you. The teachers reported that both girls did very well with no crying or fussing. Maddie has already gotten a lot quicker on her walker, which she only uses to transition from the classroom to other parts of the building when necessary. They both had crumbs all over their faces from whatever they had for a snack. Isabel had a good deal of marker all over her shirt, and they were both pretty worn out, but when I asked Isabel, for the first time of many I am sure, how school was, she said, "Fun!"

Upon arriving, Maddie gets busy with the Play-Doh

Isabel likes the cotton balls at the Sensory Table

Maddie is wondering why that little boy in her class is crying so hard

Circle time at the end of class...Maddie sees Mama

Isabel has to be right in front, so she can see the pictures

Bye bye, Teacher Ann...see you Thursday

5 comments:

Michele M said...

Looks like they had a grand time. The school looks great too...nicely decorated. R is starting MWF this Friday and he will be going the same hours as your girls.

Sherry said...

Sounds like a wonderful school. And I could handle my girls being gone for 3 hours two days a week -- maybe -- in a year. :)

So glad they liked it too. And 6 hours a week -- just what will you do? Nap, pedicure, read a book, nap, did I say nap. Please add the above list to your list. Or wait -- maybe that is your list.

Lesa said...

Oh to have time to yourself. I love my girl, but being able to have time to sew or do dishes or vacuum or go to the bathroom by myself is just heaven too! hehe

Pam, that is a nice classroom!!! Love the centers.

3peas1pod said...

Glad they enjoyed their day. Sure makes it easier on us moms when they are happy to go. However, there is nothing like the feeling you get when they excitedly run into your arms when you come back at the end of the class.

Melissa said...

So glad to see that they are enjoying school. I really need to find something like that for Darby next semester. Looks like you have a great school for them with a lot of special attention. Enjoy your free time.