CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 5, 2009

November 4, 2009

As we walked to the car, Maddie looked at me and said, "Grandpa gone." And I said, "Yes, honey. Grandpa is gone." Isabel piped in and said, "No more hurt. No sick." And I replied, "That's right. Grandpa has no more hurt."

Just a few moments earlier, we had been in my mom and dad's room at the nursing home. We had to pick up Dad's shoes, so we could deliver them to the funeral director. The girls had been looking curiously at Grandpa's empty bed, so I briefly explained to them that Grandpa was gone, that he was in heaven, and though we would miss him very, very much, we could be happy because Grandpa wasn't going to be sick anymore. The girls listened very intently, and I could almost see the wheels in their head spinning, but they didn't respond, and in the next moment, their attention was attracted by something else in the room. When it was time to go, we put on our coats, kissed and hugged Grandma, and headed out to the car. And that's when we had the above exchange.

My dad was 87 years old. Last Wednesday he played Bingo. One week later he was gone. It went very fast at the end, but it wasn't easy. Congestive heart failure is what finally got the best of him, but he put up a valiant fight to the very end. Eventually, he just got so tired, he couldn't go on.

I will always be thankful that we got in the car when we did on Sunday to make the drive to Wisconsin. We arrived at the nursing home at 9:00 p.m. When I entered my folks' room, my mom was sitting at my dad's bedside holding his hand. When she saw me, she awakened him. I leaned over so my face was right above his. When he opened his eyes and saw me, he smiled and said, "Pammy." I said, "Hi, Daddy! I love you so much." And he responded with the standard line that he's said to me my whole life. "I love you more." Then he closed his eyes and went back to sleep. He recognized me once more, early Monday afternoon. After that, though his eyes were often open, he never acknowledged anyone's presence again.

My dad, Frederick George Rennhack, Fritz to those who knew him, passed away shortly before 1:00 a.m. on Wednesday, November 4. He waited until my mom was asleep and my brother, who was spending the night at the nursing home, had stepped out of the room. I will always be thankful for those few seconds I had with him on Sunday night. I will always be happy that his whole family was with him on his final day. I will never regret the hours I spent at his bedside on those last days, holding his hand while he struggled to breathe even though it was the hardest thing I've ever done. My dad wasn't always an easy man, but I loved him deeply, and he would have done, and often did do, anything for his family. I miss him so much. His funeral will take place on Saturday, November 7, at Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Columbus, Wisconsin.

http://www.zeidlerfuneralhome.com/html/obits/obituaries.asp?listing_id=143025

12 comments:

LynnieB said...

Oh, sweetie. I am crying again. You have been on my heart all week. I know how much your Daddy and how much he loved you. You all are constantly in my prayers. I love you so.

Mary said...

Pamela K, when I got off the phone with you yesterday, the first thing I did was cry, the second thing I did was laugh : ) In the midst of my sadness, God gave me the picture of the day Fritz welcomed me into your family. Do you remember? He was wearing a cowboy hat to make me feel at home! And all the time, he had that silly smile on his face and kept calling me "pardner" : )

As difficult as he could be, I never doubted his love for you (or me for that matter : ) I loved how he and your mom always called me "Mare". Remember how mad he got at me when I decided to drive home in the snow after your birthday one year? He was so fretful that I would meet an untimely end and brought up news stories of some woman who had run off the road and into a river, which of course scared me, but I knew that in his own way, he was showing me that he cared. He had such tender moments that countered what he usually showed in public.

You know how much I want to be there and it breaks my heart that I can't. My mom gave me some wise advice last night and said that it is after all the activity that friends are needed most, so know that when you get back here this weekend, I am just a call (and short drive : ) away.

Sherry said...

Pam, I'm so very sorry for your loss. And I'm so sorry your family had to go thought the pain of this. But, I'm also glad the suffering is over for your dad. He is home now. Please take some comfort in that.

I will be praying for your family -- for peace and courage to get through the tough week ahead and the months and years to come without him.

Love you,
Sherry

Unknown said...

Pam, sadly I know somewhat how you feel after holding my mom's hand as she took her last breath here and began her next journey......What ever is next my mom and your dad already know.....they know the secrets of the universe.....and that comforts me.....much love to you and your family.....

Terry

eebss said...

Well, that sent me over the edge. The first cry. Thank you Pam, I needed that. I love you.

Cynthia said...

Pam - I am so sorry for your loss. You and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take comfort in the good times you had with your dad, that he got to meet and spend time with your amazing daughters, and that he is no longer suffering and he is an magnificant place. Will be thinking of you Saturday morning.
Love you
cynthia

3peas1pod said...

Pam,
I don't have words to tell you how sorry I am for your family's loss. Such a deep hurt to lose a close loved one. I am glad that you had a few precious moments with your daddy while he was awake. I will certainly be praying for you this week. Sending hugs your way.

Mary said...

Pam, please accept my condolences to your family. It's so hard to lose anyone, but especially a parent. I'm so glad the last couple of days were special ones, and that he remembered his sweet daughter. You and your family will be remembered in our prayers. So glad he got to know those sweet grandaughters.

Susan said...

Pam, your post is beautiful and full of so much love. I'm sure that he felt that love on your last visit, and passed peacefully knowing how much his family loved him. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love to you all.
Susan

Melissa said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am thankful that he is not suffering or in pain anymore. My prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time. Cherish all of those wonderful memories you have of your dad. I enjoyed reading about the love you two shared.

Lesa said...

Pam, I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your family. Loosing a loved one is oh so hard. We lost our daddies a week apart from each other, and almost the same time of morning. Isn't that something.

Evan didn't know my dad at all except for seeing and talking to him on Skype Thursday before we left China and talking with him the day we entered the USA.

Bless your heart.

Sue said...

Pam, I am sorry to read that you lost your dad. I know exactly what you went through and what you're going through now. Congestive heart failure took my mother a little over a year ago and it was so difficult, yet a privilege, to be at her side as she gradually slipped into the other world. We're all lucky to have had both our parents as long as we did. Reading your description of your last hours with your dad brought everything back to me. Know that I"m thinking of you. And I'm so glad to read that Maddie recovered so quickly from the flu!