CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Visit to Columbus

This past weekend, Richard, Isabel, and I made the trip to Wisconsin to visit family. I had not seen my parents since they moved to the nursing home this summer, so I was not only anxious to see them, but curious to see their accommodations and how they are faring. A nursing home isn't the happiest of places, that's for sure, and it is very difficult to see my parents there, but it is a relief to know that they are not only safe but also being well cared for. My dad would much rather be at home, and he talks about going home often, but the reality is that just isn't feasible anymore. My mom seems more content. She gets out of the room more often and has been taking part in some of the activities. For example, she plays Bingo every Wednesday and Friday. My sister Patti usually plays with her, and apparently the two of them have had quite a run of luck, winning multiple times each session. I was able to join in the fun on Friday afternoon, and I upheld the family tradition by winning three times. There is also a big glass case in the lobby filled with songbirds. My mom, an avid bird watcher her whole life, often wheels herself out to watch the birds. Isabel was fascinated by them as well as you can see in the picture below of her and Grandma.

Up until this weekend, Isabel has been walking a few steps, maybe taking up to ten or twelve, but has been much more comfortable holding on to a hand or a piece of furniture. No longer. This weekend she just turned a corner and started walking, walking, walking...even skipping a little and yes, running. I don't know what brought it on. I guess she just made up her mind. I do know that she had loads of fun walking from one end to the other of the big lobby at the nursing home. My parents delighted in watching her have so much fun, and she brought a smile to a lot of other residents' faces, too.

We also made a visit to one of the parks in town, so Isabel could swing. As you can see, she enjoys swinging very much. I did as a kid, too. It was one of my favorite things to do. There is also a deer pen in the park which currently houses twelve deer, two of which are fawns. They are so tame, they come right up to the fence. We fed them, and Isabel got to touch the nose of one of the babies.




3 comments:

LynnieB said...

Precious memories and precious pictures... so glad you were able to make the trip.

Michele M said...

You guys look like you has a great visit. As Lynn said the memories last a lifetime. Isabel is sure getting to be a big girl.

Lesa said...

How sweet that you got to make this trip.
Look how much she has grown!