CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Really Tough Decision

On June 19, the US Department of State issued a travel warning to anyone going to China about the quarantine measures the Chinese government is imposing on anyone who lands in country with a fever or exhibiting H1N1 symptoms. It was this part of the warning that really caught our attention: In some instances, children have been separated from their parents because either the parent or the child tested positive for 2009-H1N1 and was placed in quarantine for treatment. This situation presents the possibility of Chinese medical personnel administering medications to minors without first having consulted their parents.

After much discussion and some last minute scrambling, we have decided that Isabel will not travel with us to China to pick up Madeleine.

I am heartbroken for many reasons, but I cannot in good conscience take Isabel with us when there is even a remote possibility that she could contract H1N1 and be separated from us.

I have never been away from Isabel for even one night, so I am going to miss her more than I can fathom, but my mind is at ease knowing that she will be safe and sound here at home. Many thanks to my dear sister Patti and her husband Bob who said yes without a moment's hesitation when I asked if they might be willing to take her while we are gone.

So this trip seems very bittersweet at the moment. I am so happy to finally be traveling to get our Maddie. Not having Isabel there to be a part of it all is sad, but in my heart, I know it is the right thing to do at this time.

6 comments:

Michele M said...

So sorry you had to made that tough decision. Better to be safe than sorry though. I'm sure you are leaving her in safe hands.

Cynthia said...

Sorry that you had to make the very hard decision to leave Isabel at home. I think you are doing the right thing. Can't imagine what it would be like for you to possibly be separated over there. Best to err on the side of caution. Your trip will go very fast and you will be home before you know it. Isabel will be in very good hands and have a great time. You will be just a phone call away.

LynnieB said...

Love you guys. I can't wait to hear how much fun Isabel has at her Aunt Patti's! I know this was gut wrenching but you are doing the right thing for everyone involved.

Felicia Homberger said...

You are absolutely doing the right thing, no question! While it will be hard to be away from her for two weeks, that is short term. In the long run, you are giving her a new sister for life.

Lesa said...

This is such a difficult decision, but one that you have had to do.
I would be terrified for Wendy if she had to be separated from us in a strange country.
You can talk to her every night.

I'm so sorry that the trip isn't going like you had hoped, but if I were you I would be doing the same thing.

Melissa said...

I am sorry that you had to make that decision. It is just so crazy over there right now. We discussed the same thing last night and we all know the risks (including Katie). We are planning to take Katie still, but if she were younger, we would have found someone for her to stay with. I hope you guys get over there and settled in safely without incident. Only 2 more days now!!!